In the main menu, go to Products, Categories section - here, you can add a new category, and you can see the complete list of categories from your online store.
Create a new category
Click on the Create Category and enter the general information about the new category:
- Name - Enter the categories’ name, which will be public
- Choose if it will be the main category or a subcategory for an existing category which you will choose from the list.
- Visible - Choose if this category will be visible and accessible to customers.
- Show in the menu - The category can be displayed in the default main menu
- Position - Set the categories’ default order on the menu.
Now, set the categories options:
- Product sort - Choose the default product sort order for this category.
- Brand filtering - Choose to enable brand filter for products in this category.
Finally, optimise the category for search engines:
- Description - Enter the categories description, which will be displayed only in its main page
- Category URL - This URL is automatically generated from the product's name, as it is unique. We recommend you don’t change it to avoid doubled URLs.
- Canonical URL - With its help you tell Google that a URL its equivalent with another URL search wise. If you add rel=canonical, Google will only take into account the canonical URL. Be careful when you choose to fill in this field!
- Page Title - Add a title that includes a relevant keyword for the product’s name.
- Meta description - Choose a short description which includes the keyword selected for the product.
After filling in the information in the needed sections for creating a category, don’t forget to click on the Save category button, not to lose your work.